Just the TIP Tuesday - Release the Funk
Just the TIP Tuesday - One tip at a time
Bringing you weekly TIP’s on Transformation, Inspiration, and Purpose.
014. Release the Funk
Happy Tuesday y’all! Today’s TIP, “Release the Funk” was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend. He was telling me about a recent trip he took where he was sitting on the beach in a beautiful country and yet he found himself in a “funk.”
We all get a case of the funks every now and again, but he was perplexed why he could be on vacation on a beautiful beach and still feel uneasy. He was experiencing feelings of stress, anxiety, and worry.
This sparked us to dig deep and try to figure out why he may have been feeling this way. What we discovered is that he was not present in that moment. His headspace was cluttered with thoughts about what he had to get done when he returned from his trip and issues of the past that he doesn’t have control over.
It is hard to enJOY the moment when you are stuck in the past, or worrying about the future.
We can think of the funk as "junk" that is cluttering our space, literally and figuratively. We have clutter in our headspace as much as our living space. We need to declutter both on a regular occasion, so we don’t get overwhelmed with unnecessary junk.
We have to know that our happiness lies within us and we can access it anytime, anywhere. It is normal to have these thoughts and feelings, but we don’t have to let them control us and steal our joy. Acknowledge the funk as a feeling and then let it ride on through and out of your space.
This idea that “someday” we will be happy when we find the perfect career, perfect relationship, get married, have kids, make X amount of money, etc., is actually stealing our JOY, so let’s all start practicing being more present!
Some practices that help me stay more present and find joy in simple pleasures are:
1. The moment I start feeling the funk creeping into my space, I pull out a notepad or notes section on my phone and start writing down everything I am grateful for. You can call this your gratitude journal!
2. Grab a book and open up to any page and start reading! I’m usually inspired by the first sentence I read!
3. Lace up the sneakers and hit the road…walk, jog, or run that funky feeling right out of your pores!
4. Heat up some water and throw a tea bag at the funk! I like “tension tamer” or chamomile! Yogi tea is amazing because they all have a positive message on the tab!
5. Simply take 5 deep breaths! You are alive! That is something to be grateful for no matter where you are!
In closing, I want to leave you with a couple JOY quotes from my “Joy” book! I open it up whenever I am feeling funky and need a JOY boost!
In the spirit of this blog, I am going to use practice #2 and just open the book up to a random page and share those quotes with you! Here we goooo….
“Joy can be seen in a smile and heard in a voice – and that joy is contagious.”
“Become an invisible manifestation of joy that nothing can move or turn aside. Light a candle of joy for life."
“Joy is the laughter of angels.”
“Joy softens your energy by promoting relaxation of tension and worry. This frees you to feel more joy, more life, more love.”
Wow! That last one really wrapped this blog up in a nutshell! I hope you are feeling more joy in this present moment!
EnJOY your week and I will catch y’all next Tuesday!
With gratitude and JOY,